mountholly.com > community > walking tour  

Click to view all of MountHolly.com's images Walking Tour
Mount Holly, NJ  08060

    Mount Holly's history predates the American Revolution. The first owners after the Native Americans were John Cripps, his son Nathaniel, and Edward Gaskill. They owned most of Mount Holly which they called Bridgetown.

    Many other notable Americans had their roots in Mount Holly. Justus C. Strawbridge worked in Mount Holly before leaving & forming a partnership with Isaac H. Clothier (grandson of Caleb & Elizabeth Clothier of Mount Holly) - the former Strawbridge & Clothier.

    Shinn Curtis Log Cabin, circa 1712
    The early settler's log house of hand-hewn logs was entirely cased in a house on Water Street (now Rancocas Road) and was uncovered in 1967 when the surrounding house was demolished. It was in the possession of the Curtis family for 147 years, since 1802, and is now owned by the Mount Holly Historical Society.

    Burlington County Historic Prison, 1810
    Robert Mills, famed architect of the Washington Monument, designed this building. It was the first fireproof building in the United States and the oldest prison in continuous use for 155 years (until 1965).


    Old Courthouse

    Old Courthouse Complex, 1796
    The courthouse is one of the finest examples of colonial architecture in the nation. It was designed by Samuel Lewis who also designed Congress Hall of Philadelphia. The Bell, cast in England in 1755, announced the opening of court sessions, and is said to have rung to signal the signing of the Declaration of Independence.

    St. Andrew's Episcopal Church, chartered 1765

    Saint Andrew's
    This church was established in 1742, and received its Royal Charter from King George III in 1765 while Benjamin Franklin's son, William, was Governor of New Jersey. The present structure was erected on High Street in 1844.

    Friends Meeting House, 1775
    The Meeting House was established for the early New Jersey settlers, most of whom were Quakers. The first building was built in 1716, but no longer exists. The present building was used by the British as a commissary in 1778, and was the setting for 1779 meetings of the State Legislature.

    Brainerd School, 1759
    This is the oldest school in New Jersey standing on its original site. Founded by 21 men in 1759, it was used as a school until 1848. Some of its furnishings include a schoolmaster's desk, student desks, slates and a 1752 Bible.

    Fountain Square - original 1878, replica 1988
    The Greek goddess of Youth-Hebe, reigned over Fountain Square from 1878 to 1920. Led by the Mount Holly Historical Society, a replica of the cupbearer to the gods was replaced on her original sight on October 15, 1988.

    Relief Fire Company No. 1, 1789
    This is the oldest continuously used active volunteer fire company in the United States. It was organized in 1752 as Britannia Fire Company. The original firehouse sits next to the present firehouse building which dates back to 1892.

    Thomas Budd House, circa 1744
    The Budd House is the earliest known residence on its original site in Mount Holly. Thomas Budd was a plantation owner and is one of the incorporates of the Mount Holly Library. His son and grandson, Dr. Stacey Budd, both lived in the home. Dr. Budd added a third floor to the structure, but it was removed in 1927.

    Click here to subscribe to government and community announcements & events

    Click here to subscribe to government and community announcements & events

    Community
    Pages
    Home | New | Business | Community | Clubs-Organizations | Library | Flea Market | Garage/Yard Sales | Want-Ads
    History | Library | Culture | Culture & Recreation | Calendar | Schools & Childcare | Health & Social Services | Religion
    collaborative community systems © 1995-2009 Global Information, Inc.

    designed by chris abidin
    admin
    3510-03-12